Sunday, October 10, 2010

Three days: Three things

How do I choose just three things that I loved about this weekend after attending the New York Comic Con for the first time? Well, I will do my best to not go on too many tangents about ALL the things I enjoyed.

Friday, October 8:
Bravery

When I saw Captain America strut into the front entrance of the Jacob Javits Center with full confidence, I had to smile.  First off, it is evident from the photo below that this Captain America doesn't look exactly like he is portrayed in the comics.  But, who does, besides the miniscule percentage of the celebrity population who play these characters in movies (and have personal trainers)?  This is just a small example of the hundreds and thousands of people, each dressed up like his or her favorite character or super hero.  If this man can get out of bed and put on spandex head-to-toe for thousands to see, then there are certainly many brave things I can do every day.



Saturday, October 9:
Hugs


Everybody needs a hug sometimes.  Whether or not one decides to acknowledge that desire does not change the truth that once someone graces you with that gesture, it can make a world of a difference.  A hug shows that someone cares about you, that you're not alone, and that you're loved.  I always tell my husband I could hug him for hours if time and our busy lives allowed.  There is a certain relaxation, and letting go of burdens that comes with the whole process.  So, today, I got the hug of a lifetime, from none other than Chewbacca.  Be jealous.



Sunday, October 10 (10/10/10!):
Buying local, doing what you love


Part 1: Buying local
Okay, so I cheated a little by mentioning two things I like in the title for today.  Upon arrival at the Beacon train station today, a friend brought me into the downtown area to prove what a great secret it was.  And, he was absolutely right.  I lived about a half hour away from this place for four years and didn't know it existed.  With art galleries and cute coffee shops along with a local burger restaurant, I was in heaven.  Within five minutes, I had decided that this should be my new home.  It feels good to contribute to small businesses, and to feel part of a community.  I got a taste (quite literally) of that today in the burger restaurant, while admiring the local art decorating the walls.

Part 2: Doing what you love
My husband met a guy named Ben Bishop last year at the comic con who wrote, illustrated, and published his own graphic novel.  Max purchased it as a gift for me and I read it immediately, although I have always been wary of the genre.  I read the book very quickly, and by the first or second chapter, I was already crying.  Needless to say, I absolutely loved the book.  I also appreciated seeing a person pursuing what they love, even if he had to work a different job in order to stay afloat.  That kind of thing is inspiring, and it was finally great to meet him this year.

You should check out his work.  You will like it.


Max in the burger restaurant sporting his Nathan the Caveman shirt.


"I will not play at tug o' war
I'd rather play at hug o' war,
Where everyone hugs
Instead of tugs...."

~Shel Silverstein

No comments:

Post a Comment