Wednesday, October 6, 2010

les fleurs artificielles: faux pas, n'est-ce pas?

It started in my sophomore year of high school when I took regular trips to Wal*Mart. I grew up in the type  of place where the most exciting thing for teens to do on a Friday night was to goof around in what some like to call, Wally World. As I strolled through the aisles, taking photos on my new disposable camera of myself with stuffed animals, squirt guns, and the ugliest granny panties I could find, I noticed something. I halted from my frenzy and swiftly backed up a few steps. The colorful island near the crafts section was a bright array of fake flowers. I fell in love.

Looking at the price tags, I realized just how inexpensive these items were, and I began stuffing stems under my arms and creating arrangements. Thus began my hobby of collecting false flowers and unique vases. If you were a fly on the wall in my home, you'd realize very quickly that there is an abundance of these unique collections.  In fact, I'm sure I have some stuffed in a closet that are not even in use at this time.  This all reminds me that fake flowers make me happy.  Whether or not it's considered a home style "faux pas," no one can contest that they sure last a lot longer than the real ones!


I think I'll bring some extra happiness to work with some "fleurs artificielles" tomorrow.

"O my luve's like a red, red rose
That's newly sprung in June:
O, my luve's like the melodie,
That's sweetly play'd in tune."
-Robert Burns

No comments:

Post a Comment