Thursday, November 11, 2010

Music is an outburst of the soul

I have been preparing for the last couple of weeks for a show I am playing at this coming Saturday.  I'll be the opening act, and will be playing for between thirty and forty-five minutes.  I have previously performed on a somewhat regular basis at cafes and open mics, but have since spent quite a bit of time away from that circuit.  Because of this, one would assume that I would have spent the past three months preparing for the event, but, as is characteristic of myself, I waited until the two weeks beforehand to begin practicing.

I prefaced my current statement simply to point out that I think many of us procrastinate in this way, but once we actually get to doing what it is we need to do, we end up liking it.  I will be playing both guitar and ukulele, singing, and I will perform both cover songs and my own original tunes.  It has been an incredibly fulfilling experience to thumb through my old music folder, to strum and sing along to songs I wrote in 2004, pages yellowed and corners wrinkled.  Although it has been years since I have acted like music was one of the most important things in my life, it has continued to be so, and preparing for this coffeehouse has brought it back into my every-day reality.

I hope I continue this practice, because playing every day has brought me
to a place of self-evaluation, of peace, and of happiness.

"Music is an outburst of the soul." -Frederick Delius

"I've never known a musician who regretted being one.  Whatever deceptions life may have in store for you, music itself is not going to let you down." -Virgil Thompson



No comments:

Post a Comment